Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Mary Poppins!

P.S. to my last post:

Today at VBS one of the other little girls (probably about 4 years old?) came up and asked if she could sit on my lap. I was sitting on the floor with the other kids, and I told her she could, so she plopped down and studied Abigail (who was playing a few feet away).

"I was up sooo late last night!" she suddenly announced.

"What were you doing up so late?" I asked.

"We went to the movie theatre," she told me. "The movie was sooo funny. But at the end, my brother (who I think is around eight or nine?) cried."

"What did you see?" I asked.

She wrinkled her nose and thought for a few minutes. "I don't remember!" she finally said sadly.

There are only two G or PG movies out this week, so I took a guess. "Did you see Toy Story 3?"

She immediately brightened up. "YES! and it was SO FUNNY!"

"I saw that, too!" I told her. "I thought it was very funny, and I cried at the end just like your brother!"

She thought about this for awhile. "Did Abigail go see it with you?" she asked.

I shook my head. "No, I didn't take Abigail with me."

"Who stayed with Abigail?" she wanted to know.

"Abigail's mommy and daddy stayed with her," I told her.

She looked at me, then at Abigail, then back again.

"Well, WHO are YOU?" she demanded (interpretation: you're not Abby's mommy?!?!!?).

"I'm Abigail's nanny," I explained. "I come to Abigail's house in the morning when her mommy and daddy go to work. She and I are buddies who spend the day together."

This concept still seemed a little strange to her, so I tried again.

"I'm like Abigail's babysitter, except I babysit every day."

Suddenly her eyes lit up. "Like Mary Poppins!!!"

Yeah, kid. Like Mary Poppins. :)

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

HAHAHAHAHA I have had that EXACT same thing happen with adults and kids alike. I'll go babysit some kid whose parent met me while I'm with Camila only to have them ask, "Where's Camila?" I say she's with her mom, and they ask, "Who are you?" Or I'll go to the store and the cashier will ask, "Where are the kids?!" I get odd looks when I say "with their mom".
P.S. I WISH it was like Mary Poppins. Oh to be able to snap my fingers and have the house clean!

Taleia said...

Actually, her next comment was to tell me she'd once been "blown away" holding on to an umbrella, too! :)

Taleia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.