Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Mom's Morning Out

Today was the big day - Abby's first day of Mom's Morning Out! I figured she'd be okay but knew I'd be a wreck. :) I really, really, really wanted her to like it, because if she didn't - if she cried or clung to me or whatever - I knew I'd fall apart.

So I've been talking to her about it for awhile now, telling her how much fun she'll have, how she'll love playing with the kids and going on the playground and reading stories, etc. Today especially I ramped it up - I'd bring it up every hour or so, until she seemed excited, too.

We stopped by to look at the playground before we went to her classroom. She wanted to go play in it immediately but I told her her teacher would take her with her class (I wanted to create the desire to be with her teacher/class). We went and stood by her classroom door, and she seemed nervous - kept putting her hands in her mouth, asking to be held, etc, but I just kept smiling and asking her, "Oh, aren't you going to have fun?" and she kept nodding yes.

The moment of truth came - time to drop her off! - and I think my plan worked, because when I asked her, "Are you ready to go with your class?" she nodded and let me bounce her like Tigger over the baby gate. Her teacher picked her up to give her a hug, and she looked back at me, very content, and I waved and said "Bye, Abby, have fun on the playground!" and she froze. And I realized that she had no idea that this whole thing included me leaving.

I bailed and I ran.

And then, because I am a wimp, I flattened against the hallway wall, out of sight, and listened for sounds of crying, sobbing, etc.

Nothing!

And her teacher didn't call me back, either, so apparently she was good.

So, I imagine she was kind of unhappy that I'd left, but apparently not enough to let it spoil her playground fun. I'm hoping when I pick her up she'll have had a good day with no tears or sadness!

I feel like a traitor, but I'm really glad of two things: one, I never told her I would stay (as I always do if we're going someplace she's nervous about), and two, I didn't sneak out. I didn't tell her, "You'll be fine, I'm right here," wait for her to turn her back, and run. Hopefully this will ease some of the transition.

Anyway... big milestone.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Congrats on a non-traumatic day thus far! We are coming along...we had a HORRIBLE day last week but the last two have gone pretty well. She barely cried when I dropped her off this week and is showing me her toys and classroom last week, and when I walked up she was sitting in her teacher's lap for the first time, so I think they're bonding.

Taleia said...

If Abby has a day like that it will break my heart. It will be interesting to see how she reacts to the idea of MMO now that she's done it once before... will she be more confident or less? Hmm... :)