Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Crazy-Busy Day!

We had a crazy-busy day today!

The summer reading program at the local library kicked off yesterday, and I already wanted to get my siblings enrolled, but this morning it occurred to me that there was no reason Abigail couldn't register, too. It would give us activities to do together, and an excuse (or motivation!) to go to the library once a week. I texted Natalie to make sure it was okay, and she was fine with it, so Abigail and I picked up the cousins and headed off to the library.
I think it may have been her first time in a library - I forgot to ask - but she was obviously enthralled by the shelves of books. :) She is just like me - loves words and reading! Abigail was very patient as I got everyone registered - all five of them! - then we got to go hang out in the kids section.
At first she wanted to just walk around and touch and look at the books, but then we found a Dr. Seuss book that we didn't have at home - "A Wocket In My Pocket" - and we sat and read it together. She loved their little kiddie seats. :) After that, we sat on the floor by one of the shelves and pulled books off and talked about the pictures. She was especially interested in one book called "Bye-Bye Binky" about a little boy who loses his binky (she could probably sympathize - we're ALWAYS misplacing binkys and staging searches for them), then finally finds it, but decides he doesn't need it anymore, so he ties it to the end of a balloon and sends it up into the sky. I worried for a moment about the possibly "imitation" danger (I see imitation danger in all books since the binky-in-the-toilet episode) but I don't see her managing to tie a binky to a balloon any time soon. :)
After we checked out all our books, we decided to take a walk on the path that runs past the library. If I remember my local history correctly, it used to be a railroad track, which was then converted into a paved walkway which can double as a road. A lot of Amish horse and buggies use it, too. We met a friend down the path - one of Allen's mentors from his Tang Su Do dojang - and the two boys quickly outpaced us with a toddler. :) I was surprised at how well Abigail did - she walked about 1/2 mile round trip and only asked to be carried the last 50 feet or so.
By the time we got back from our walk, I was starving, so we picked up hoagies at Wawa (yay hoagiefest!) and went to a nearby park to picnic and play. Abigail was an angel - she sat beside us on the picnic table, swinging her legs and munching on apple slices. :) Then we were off to play! We played for about 30 minutes, and I was really surprised at how adventurous she was!

One day last week Abigail slept a little late and I got to get her up and dress her, since daddy had to get to work. :) I've been eyeing this adorable skirt for weeks now, and it paired up nicely with this shirt.

Sadly, we were not beach-bound that day... but we did get to go to the pool! :)

No comments: