Monday, March 5, 2012

Big Slide

Abigail -

You have a love/hate relationship with the Chick-fil-a playset. On the one hand, nothing gives you more pleasure than to climb up and play in the tunnels, but on the other, very little terrifies you more than the thought of climbing back down. Each time we go, you beg to go play, and each time I patiently explain to you over and over again that if you go up, you must eventually climb down, and I can't come up and get you. And each time, I end up on the ground, coaxing you down, and you stretch your toes experimentally towards the next step, wailing "I can't dooooooo it!" Once you were rescued by a nice little girl a few years older, who took pity on you and held your hand as you climbed down; another time I sent Lilly up to come back down with you.

It must not be as traumatic as it seems from my point of view, however, because by the next time we come you're begging again to go play.

I've suggested many, many times - "Why don't you take the slide down?" but this suggestion has always been met with "NOooooo... The slide is TOO BIG for me!"

Today there were other children on the playground, and I watched you strike up a friendship with another little girl. You climbed higher than you ever had before, so high that I had to walk around towards the opening of the slide to see you, and this is what I heard.

Little girl: "I'm going down the slide! Are you coming down the slide?"
You: "No, I'm too scared. (sigh)"
Little girl: "I'll hold your hand!"
You: "Okay!"

A second later you were at my feet, flushed with excitement, gripping the hand of your new friend with a mix of terror and delight. You jumped up, gave me a big hug, and - beaming from ear to ear - exclaimed, "SARAH!!! I WENT DOWN THE BIIIIG SLIDE!"

A little bit later, Lilly ended up at the top of the slide, frozen in fright, wanting to go down the slide but unhappily too afraid to do so. I suggested that you go help, and you scrambled up to the top to hold your cousin's hand so she could slide down with you.

I'm so proud of you. :)

(However, part of me looks a little smugly forward to a time when you might have your own children, and they climb to the tippy-top of the playset... or the jumpyard fixture... and refuse to come down. I hope you feel the tiniest bit ridiculous, but I also hope that you realize what a treasure it is to have someone in your life that you love enough to look ridiculous for.)

Love you always,

Sarah

No comments: