Thursday, March 22, 2012

Puzzled





The last two weeks have been all about puzzles - especially these three Melissa & Doug wooden puzzles that have recently come to stay. One is horsey-themed (from Grandma), one is fishing-themed, and the other one has "a tricky jaguar" (jungle theme).


The "tricky jaguar" seems to be Abby's favorite and we usually put it together several times, one right after the other, every morning. One morning this week after several repetitions I started naming each of the animals, and when I got to the alligator, Abby began VERY STRENUOUSLY telling me something. About the alligator. And the fishie. Clearly it was VERY IMPORTANT that I understand it.


I had her repeat it several times, and this was the gist of what she was saying:


"See that alligator, and see that fishie? It may LOOK like the alligator is chasing the fishie, and you might THINK that the alligator is going to catch the fish and EAT IT, BUT -" she stressed this with a little shake of her head, " - BUT, it only LOOKS that way. REALLY, the fishie and the alligator are PLAYING together, so even if the alligator CATCHES the fishie, it's okay, because they're ONLY PLAYING, and the alligator is NOT GOING TO EAT HIM!!!"


When I finally realized what she was saying, I nearly died laughing. I have no idea if this was an idea that she came up with to reconcile her love of both alligators and fishies, or whether this is a story her mommy or daddy told her to reconcile the imminent danger the fishie faces, but either way, problem solved. :)


She never puts that puzzle together without telling me happily that putting that puzzle together with Mommy is her "favorite thing". :)

No comments: