Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Potty Training and Play-Doh

First, potty-training: I came back from Alabama to discover that Natalie had spent the weekend starting potty training with Abigail. From what I hear, Abigail is practically perfectly potty-trained with her 'rents, but apparently none of this new training translates over to her time with me. Even though I have been hyper-vigilant about asking her if she needs to go sit on the potty, it doesn't seem to be working. Her answer is always "Nope!" and if I try to take her to sit "just in case" she fusses and throws a tempter tantrum. I don't want this to become a power struggle... I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong. GRR! I hope I can figure it out soon!

Second - Play Doh! Whee! I've been waiting with bated breath til she was old enough to play Play-Doh, and now it's here and we're having a ball. Because, come on, you never get too old for Play-Doh. :) I'm amazed at how coordinated she is at squishing, rolling snakes, making balls, etc. She's even been "drawing" on it with the a little plastic stylus that came with it, so I'm really really hoping this is the beginning of writing. :)



Her favorite thing to make so far are these "swirlies". :)

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Aw we haven't done Play Doh much yet because she is a little young, but we did make some "snowmen" one day and she thought it was cool.
For potty training, we tried an approach that is supposed to avoid power struggles, and just constantly reminded her, "Let me know when you need to go potty." Sometimes she didn't always catch it until she started to have an accident, so you have to stay REALLY close in case you have to run her to the potty, but it did seem to work. When we asked, "Do you have to go potty?" She usually said "no" too. But now except for the occasional nighttime accident she's trained and tells us.
Hope that helps! Good luck! :)